Salient Features of the Indian Constitution:
- Indian constitution is the lengthiest and most detailed of all constitutions in the world
- originally consisted of 395 articles divided into 22 parts and 9 schedules
- There are 6 fundamental rights in the constitution.
- India is a secular state (means state has no religion on its own)- Articles 25 t0 28 give shape to this secularism.
- It provides for a single citizenship for the whole of India. There is no state citizenship
- The preamble of the constitution declares India to be a Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democratic Republic.
Soverign: Country is not dependent upon any outside authority.
Socialist: Ownership ofthe means of production and distribution by the state- inserted by 42nd amendment act.
Democratic: It has a government which gets its authority from the will of the people.
Republic: India does not have a hereditary monarch.
- Indian democracy is based on adult suffrage. In other words, any person who is not less than 18 years of age, who is otherwise eligible has a right to vote without any discrimination on sex, property or texation.